So the dates are now in your diary – Friday November 2nd till Sunday November 4th – and you’ve been getting warmed up ready to take part in our conker championships! Well we thought we should give you the heads up that some of the Urban Beach crew have been taking their training very seriously with conker matches on a daily basis
Join the festivities from 8pm on Friday 2nd and if you think you’ve got what it takes to win our conker championships, bring it on! The overall winner will be lucky enough to bag an overnight stay with us in one of our 12-boutique luxury bedrooms.
There will be more ‘battling it out’ on Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th as the snail racing begins. Join in with the heats on the Saturday and if you’re up in one of the top spots, come back on the Sunday and take part in the finals to be in with a chance of winning a full three course meal for two with drinks. Our snails have been in training for a few days now getting fit and ready!
You’ll be able to enjoy a host of live music on Sunday 4th too from the likes of the lovely Beth Lowen (www.facebook.com/BethLowen?fref=ts) Luke Adams (www.facebook.com/lukeadamsmusic1?fref=ts) and the One Man Destruction Show (www.facebook.com/pages/One-Man-Destruction-Show-Adam-J-Harmer/139326396170097?fref=ts)
All of this combined with a selection of mouth watering pies and scrumptious ales to wash it all down with.
Come and join in to help us celebrate this gorgeous season that is autumn!
Love the Urbans. Xx
P.S: Here’s a reminder of our conker etiquette’ rules so you know what to expect from the games!
- All conkers and laces are supplied by Urban Beach.
- Each player is given a new conker and lace at the start of each game and they may knot the lace a maximum of one knot. Players may not re-use conkers from earlier games, however, you can re-use your laces. Laces may not be used from footwear incase of fungal contamination.
- The game will commence with a toss of a coin, the winner of the toss may elect to strike or receive.
- A distance of no less than 8’’ or 20cm of lace must be between knuckle and nut.
- Each player then takes three alternative strikes at the opponent’s conker.
- Each attempted strike must be clearly aimed at the nut, no deliberate mis-hits.
- The game will be decided once either of the conkers has been smashed.
- A small piece of nut or skin remaining shall be judged out, it must be enough to mount an attack.
- If both nuts smash at the same time then the match shall be re-played.
10. Any nut being knocked from the lace but not smashing may be re-threaded within 10 seconds and the game shall be continued.
11. A player causing a knotting of the laces (a snag) will be noted, three snags will lead to disqualification.
12. If a game lasts for more than five minutes then play will halt and the ‘5 minute rule’ will come into effect. Each player will be allowed up to nine further strikes at their opponents nut, again alternating three strikes each. If neither conker has been smashed at the end of the nine strikes then the player who strikes the nut the most times during this period will be judged the winner.
The Chief Umpire’s decision shall be absolutely final!
Urban Beach does not accept any responsibility for broken bones, loss of limbs or death caused by this conker event. We urge participants to think about health and safety of themselves and others and suggest wearing eye goggles, welding gloves, American football helmets, kneepads, elbow pads, bulletproof vests, steel tapped boots, high visibility jackets and a cricket box for the fellas! Be warned – this sporting activity may contain nuts!