Save the date boys ‘n’ girls for the Urban Beach harvest, bonfire ‘Fawkes n Hoes’ Festival!
Live music, real ales, snail racing, conker championships, epic pies and much much more! Running from the 2nd – 4th November for the whole weekend so pop the date in your diaries and we’ll keep you posted as to what’s going on with our big brother’s line-up!
Keep an eye on our Facebook page over the next few weeks for updates and photos of the preparations. The Urban Beach crew have got snails on high carb diets and sit up routines and they have been polishing their conkers…
And speaking of conkers, here are the ‘conker etiquette’ rules so you know what to expect from the games
- All conkers and laces are supplied by Urban Beach.
- Each player is given a new conker and lace at the start of each game and they may knot the lace a maximum of one knot. Players may not re-use conkers from earlier games, however, you can re-use your laces. Laces may not be used from footwear incase of fungal contamination.
- The game will commence with a toss of a coin, the winner of the toss may elect to strike or receive.
- A distance of no less than 8’’ or 20cm of lace must be between knuckle and nut.
- Each player then takes three alternative strikes at the opponent’s conker.
- Each attempted strike must be clearly aimed at the nut, no deliberate mis-hits.
- The game will be decided once either of the conkers has been smashed.
- A small piece of nut or skin remaining shall be judged out, it must be enough to mount an attack.
- If both nuts smash at the same time then the match shall be re-played.
10. Any nut being knocked from the lace but not smashing may be re-threaded within 10 seconds and the game shall be continued.
11. A player causing a knotting of the laces (a snag) will be noted, three snags will lead to disqualification.
12. If a game lasts for more than five minutes then play will halt and the ‘5 minute rule’ will come into effect. Each player will be allowed up to nine further strikes at their opponents nut, again alternating three strikes each. If neither conker has been smashed at the end of the nine strikes then the player who strikes the nut the most times during this period will be judged the winner.
The Chief Umpire’s decision shall be absolutely final!
Urban Beach does not accept any responsibility for broken bones, loss of limbs or death caused by this conker event. We urge participants to think about health and safety of themselves and others and suggest wearing eye goggles, welding gloves, American football helmets, kneepads, elbow pads, bulletproof vests, steel tapped boots, high visibility jackets and a cricket box for the fellas! Be warned – this sporting activity may contain nuts!